Wednesday, January 11, 2006

ManRoom 2.0

Today, I took the afternoon of to do a little electrical work on the ManRoom. The ManRoom is the converted attic space of our home that I spend most of my time watching TiVo and Blog’n.. Well, as you can probably imagine I have a couple electronic appliances plugged in to the outlets of the ManRoom. Nothing “fancy” just your standard entry level guy stuff. Kind of like a college dorm room.

Anyway, on Sunday “Elvis’s Birthday” I was vacuuming the ManRoom, training for SaHD, when I heard a pop and the vacuum stopped working. I thought I had blown a breaker. So, I went to investigate. Nope, wasn’t the breaker? Well, come to find out I actually blow out an outlet and scorch some wires.. No problem.. That why I have tools.

I ran out to the local hardware store to get some supplies and started to work. It didn’t go very smoothly, mostly because when I started the project it was dark out and when you turn the power off it’s a little hard to see what you are doing w/o lights and just a flash light. You may wonder why I didn’t run a light in from another room? The breaker box wasn’t marked very well by the yo’cal that had written in the tag lines with crayon, so I tripped the main. Hey, I’m 566 days 2 hrs 49 min 42 sec from retirement (see bottom of blog for running ticker) and I really don’t need to be electrocuting my ass…

I didn’t finish Sunday and tried to finish up the last couple of nights and it just wasn’t working out. I really didn’t know what I was doing and learning by trial and error after error as I went along. That’s when I realized today. I could leave work early and finish the job during day light hours. Yep, that was the ticket. Light everywhere and time to work out the issues… Now, I’m blog’n and catch’n up on my TiVo.

The only casualty of the entire ordeal was today I had the power off during PTI and TiVo didn’t record it.

So anywoo, that’s what I did today in Rochester and I’m a McIntosh… Damn Kurt Brothers!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mack,

Didn't know you knew how to do electrical work. How are you and Amy doing? I found your website on the GHS page and had to read it while I was at work. Is your retirement count down the day Amy is done with Med School?

Gorenchan
patrick.gorenchan@wmich.edu