Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Love Asparagus

Have you ever noticed how your pee smells after eating asparagus?

It's because some of its constituents are metabolised and excreted in the urine, giving it a distinctive, mildly unpleasant odor. The smell is caused by various sulfur-containing degradation products (e.g. thiols and thioesters). As a result of studies it was not only shown that only around 40% of the test persons displayed this characteristic smell, but also that not everyone is able to smell the odor once it is produced. I have the order....



I wounder if this monkey ate asparagus before he drank is pee..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Coffee makes my pee smell (and maybe taste) funny too.

rudi said...

Did you get that out of "Why Do Men Have Nipples?" Because I just read about it in that book.