Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tipping on To-Go Orders?

It seems like all of the chain "sit down" restaurants are pushing the Curbside Take-Away, Carside To Go, or a similar service. The question is.. When the meal gets to the car and the server asks you if you want change. What do you say? I didn't know, Amy didn't know, and I was too embarrassed to ask the All-Knowing Jon.

So, I have decided it was time get to the bottom of this nagging etiquette question. I wasn't real happy with what I found out, but it does make cents, well maybe not to Rudi.

I found that only when you pick up a pizza, a tip is not required. Most likely based on pay. In all other pick-up cases, your tip is for the waiter or waitress who has to prepare and package your order. Again, most likely based on pay. If you buy into this as a good reason. How much of a tip is appropriate? Well, according to one source, it depends on the establishment. If it's a restaurant that features take-out meals, 10% is appropriate. If it's a restaurant that is really more of a dine-in place, the typical 15% is in order.

For me the real reason to leave a tip? Well if you don't, you may be pimping your waiters and waitresses because at some dine-in restaurants, takeout orders are added to a waitperson's total sales and fall under the 8% rule. Which the IRS requires servers to report 8% of their total sales as tips. Even though you may be eating at home, the waitperson is still providing you a service by preparing and packing your food and in most cases paying Uncle Sam for it.

My opinion... It would be nice if restaurants paid their people, so I don't have too.....

BUT... When in doubt, leaving a couple of bucks is always appreciated.

No comments: