Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My Dad and Friend..

My dad and friend, William (Bill) Richard McIntosh, passed away at 4:15 p.m. Sunday, May 21st. at Seasons Hospice in Rochester, MN..

Two years ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had a procedure called a Whipple preformed to remove the cancer. This was followed up with three months of chemo and radiation. After which he stayed cancer free for over two years.

The odds where stacked against him from the beginning.. Less than 5% of the patients that are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer live more than five years. So with that, I feel extremely fortunate for the time that I had with him.

My parents had just relocated to my dad’s home town, Johnston City, IL when my dad started to feel ill. So, my mom and dad packed up and headed for the Mayo Clinic to have his discomfort investigated. Unfortunately, his discomfort was due to the cancer metastasizing to his liver.

After fighting the cancer with all of his effort and determination for over two months he went very peacefully. I’m very happy that my parents decided to stay with Amy and me for the last two months so that we all could spend time with him. I had the opportunity to spend almost everyday with him. We talked about old times and discussed what our futures held.

During the last couple of months our friends and family have shown their care and support more than I could have ever imaged and I’m truly humbled and thankful from all of the support. Thank you..

Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 27th. at Murman and Wilson Funeral Home in Johnston City. Burial will be in the Lakeview Cemetery in Johnston City. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.

No comments: